These fire prevention tips can help reduce the chances of a fire in your home.
Smoke alarms save lives – remember to maintain smoke detection devices in your home.
- Be advised that your main smoke detector device is linked to the central fire panel system; therefore, use our registered contractor to perform any maintenance.
- It’s also recommended to install a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation which contains a fixed combustion appliance (this excludes gas cookers).
Test the smoke alarms in your property monthly.
- At Kings Chelsea, your smoke detector is linked to the communal alarm system; please check with the Management office before you test.
- Testing your alarm may cause false alarms.
- If any of your smoke alarms have a one-year battery, make sure it is changed. every year. Only take the battery out when you need to replace it.
- Never disconnect or take the batteries out of your alarm if it goes off by mistake.
- Mains-powered alarms are powered by your home power supply and have a back-up battery in case of a power cut. They need to be installed by our qualified registered contractor and, like battery alarms, they do require testing.
In the kitchen
Cook safely - Take extra care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
- Avoid cooking when under the influence of alcohol.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
- Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
Deep Fat Frying
• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
• Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
• If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• Use a thermostat-controlled electric deep fat fryer. This means it can’t overheat.
How to avoid electrical fires:
- Try and keep to one plug adaptor per socket.
- Keep your eyes peeled for signs of dangerous or loose wiring, such as scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reason, or flickering lights.
- Unplug appliances when you’re not using them, they are fully charged, or when you go to bed.
Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order to prevent them triggering a fire.
An extension lead or adaptor will have a limit to how many amps it can take. Be careful not to overload your plugs to reduce the risk of a fire.
Appliances use different amounts of power – a television may use a 3amp plug and a vacuum cleaner a 5amp plug, for example. It’s important to know the limit.
Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out and make sure they are out!
- Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around. They can easily start a fire.
- Unplug e-cigarettes when fully charged and ensure you are using the correct charger type.
Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains or tissues.
- Put out candles when you leave the room, and make sure they’re out completely at night.
- Consider using LED or battery-operated candles.
- Keep pets away from a lit candle.
Barbeques are NOT used on balconies. The fire service urge people to never use a barbeque or open flame on balconies or indoors.
If you feel you need special assistance in evacuating your building and have not got a personal evacuation plan in place already, then please speak with your property manager.